Maintenance exercises are to be done every day after you wake up and before you go to sleep. My exercises right now are Pushups, Pullups, and Situps. I increase the number of reps a little each week. I take Sundays off and let myself recover. I do isometric core flexors of varying durations throughout the day.
I started at 36 pushups and 30 situps. Since then, I've added 2 pushups and 5 situps per week. Right now I am at 42 pushups and 45 situps. I've added in pullups when convenient; there's a wall in my house that serves the purpose. This may not be sustainable, seeing as I will be moving around so much. Keep in mind that these exercises should be enough volume to take you just beyond what you're used to doing, but not so much that it becomes a serious challenge. These exercises are not a workout.
Unfortunately, doing lots of situps has the tendency to rip the skin off my tailbone. I've mitigated this by switching up the core stuff I do through the week. The schedule I intend to keep looks like this:
Monday: Pushups, Situps, Pullups
Teusday: Pushups, Bicycles, Pullups
Wednesday: Pushups, Full Body V, Pullups
Repeat through Saturday. Since I do situps 2 days a week, I will be increasing them by 5 every 2 weeks instead of each week.
As for goals, I want to get both Pushups and Situps over 100. Since I cannot guarantee regular Pullups, I'll just aim to do a lot of them. The hardest part of maintenance is motivating myself when I'm really tired. 1 day won't make a difference, right? WRONG! Opening the door to skipping defeats the whole point, and closing it again may prove impossible. I only allow myself to skip the exercises if my body is so fatigued that I seriously doubt I will be able to complete them.
So that's the plan. Next time, I'll talk about actual workouts.
No comments:
Post a Comment