Sunday, August 28, 2011

Why I'm going to go hungry

So as it turns out, ordering food is reallllllly difficult when you don't speak the language. In Korea, we had to hope that the waiter/waitress spoke english, or that there were pictures on the menu that we could go off of. Where we are now, however, no one speaks english and no menu has pictures. All I have to go off is the price. I'm working on memorizing the header words like "entree", "soup", "drinks", etc. but it's slow going. hopefully I'll know what basic category I'm looking at and be able to pick something at random. 2 nights ago someone in our group had to point to the table next to us and say "6 of that". We lucked out, because that particular item happened to be the restaurant's specialty. Still, when it comes to food, I'm mostly up the creek.

Useful phrases to know when you're traveling: Yes, No, Hello, Thank you, How Much, Where, Good, Bad. It also helps to smile a LOT.


No comments:

Post a Comment